Spent part of today torturing the Clutter guys with disruptive, untested patches ... woo hoo! (I do plan to clean up and debug the patch, if the idea goes over well.)
Clutter is a pretty fun change from the usual 2D toolkit stuff, and nicely done in general.
The other day I also wrote up some quick notes on making Clutter work better as a canvas inside another toolkit such as GTK+; incidentally, these same changes would make Clutter a great foundation for a compositing manager in Metacity... someone should look into that ;-)
Also missing is the other direction - seamless, easy embedding of GtkWidget into a Clutter canvas - but I haven't had a chance to dig into this one yet. Ideally ClutterEntry is just not necessary - at least if you're already linking to a regular toolkit. More importantly, the truly difficult widgets such as TreeView, TextView, WebKit, and Gecko are handy to reuse.
Easy blending of GTK+ and Clutter would open a lot of doors for jazzing up GNOME.
My new company is called LiTL, and we have some job listings up. We're looking for desktop developers, web developers, QA engineers, and Linux distribution wranglers, among others.
Send us a note (to jobs @ litl) to introduce yourself. We'd love to meet you and tell you more about the company.
I thought this was a good post on how to recognize and hire good software developers if you aren't a software developer yourself. Or even if you are a software developer yourself.
For anyone who's interested in this, check out D-Bus (or rather, the libdbus C implementation of D-Bus) for an example of nontrivial code that attempts to handle out-of-memory.
I would wildly guess that the OOM handling adds 30-40% or so to the number of lines of code, and thus the size of the library on disk.
There's also a historical note; I wrote a lot of the code thinking OOM was handled, then later I added testing of most OOM codepaths (with a hack to fail each malloc, running the code over and over). I would guess that when I first added the tests, at least 5% of mallocs were handled in a buggy way - the handling code crashed, locked up, or something.
(At one point I applied the same testing strategy to libxml2, and it was also a crash-fest. Conclusion: if you haven't tested all OOM codepaths, they do NOT work, they're just sitting there causing bloat.)
When adding the tests, I had to change the API in several cases in order to fix the bugs. For example adding dbus_connection_send_preallocated() or DBUS_DISPATCH_NEED_MEMORY.
To make OOM handling work, you have to make pretty much every part of the code transactional - you have to be able to atomically roll back what you were doing. In the dbus-daemon case, generally this means we roll back the handling of the current message, then return an error to the sender of the message.
In a GUI program, I couldn't even guess what you'd do after the rollback; you have no memory so can't open a dialog, not that an out-of-memory dialog is helpful in the first place. Best I can think of would be to block for a while then retry the malloc, but that can be done inside of g_malloc(), so does not require OOM handling.
dbus-daemon was the motivation for OOM handling, since dbus-daemon can't crash. As a side effect, though, libdbus allows apps to check for and handle OOM. This gives us empirical evidence for how many apps will check for OOM if a library allows it. I'm pretty sure the answer is zero or close to it, in the libdbus case.